Lawyers for Privacy Law and Protection of Personal Information
Canadian privacy, access to information and personal information protection legislation exists at both the federal and provincial levels, and the laws change frequently to adapt to new technologies and shifting political priorities. It is essential that business owners remain informed of their compliance obligations in the face of ever-evolving requirements. At Mills & Mills LLP, we keep our clients up-to-date on changes to the law and their legal obligations as commercial entities. Our lawyers also assist with compliance by drafting customized privacy and anti-spam policies.
We represent clients in dealings with government agencies such as the Ontario Privacy Commissioner, in proceedings under access to information laws, and by responding to privacy inquiries or complaints.
Personal Information & Privacy Legislation – PIPEDA, PHIPA, FIPPA, CASL and Privacy Act
As part of our role in assisting with the day-to-day operations of our clients’ businesses and maintaining compliance with applicable law, we:
- Prepare privacy policies
- Assist in the implementation of appropriate privacy practices
- Conduct privacy audits
- Resolve privacy complaints
- Provide opinions on the permissible collection, use and disclosure of personal information
- Act on applications for disclosure of information pursuant to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- Conduct appeals of decisions of the Privacy Commissioner
- Act on behalf of our clients with respect to the filing of or responding to complaints made to the Federal Privacy Commissioner under the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)
- Ensure that clients are aware of their compliance obligations under an array of Canadian legislation, including:
– PIPEDA – federal personal information protection and electronic documents legislation
– The Privacy Act
– PHIPA (Personal Health Information Protection Act) – Ontario-based health information protection legislation
– Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
– CASL (Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation) – federal anti-spam legislation, newly enacted in 2014
Contact Mills & Mills LLP
To benefit from the experience, advice and assistance of our commercial law lawyers with respect to Canadian privacy and information law, call us at 416-863-0125 or send us an email.