Tax LawTax planning and problem solving
Trusted Tax Lawyers in Toronto
In order to protect your wealth and that of your business, to reduce your tax burden, and to prevent your assets from being eroded, it is important to consult with a highly experienced tax lawyer who can help you craft an effective tax strategy or assist you in disputes with the Canada Revenue Agency.
At Mills & Mills LLP, we provide exceptional tax planning and tax dispute resolution services for individuals and corporations across the Greater Toronto Area and throughout Ontario. Our tax lawyers work closely with all practice groups in the firm to address tax issues that may arise in both personal and corporate matters. Our tax lawyers have a broad range of experience and will handle your tax matter with the highest standards of professionalism and the utmost of client focus.
At Mills & Mills LLP, our Toronto tax lawyers provide outstanding corporate tax advice and guidance to business of all sizes and across all sectors, from small start-ups to large multi-national corporations operating in Canada or looking to do business in Canada. We can assist businesses to avoid unintended tax consequences in all aspects of their corporate existence, through structuring and implementing transactions, including cross-border transactions, to reorganizations and succession planning.
We regularly provide advice to businesses and business owners on:
- Business Formation and Organization
- Tax-Structured Mergers and Acquisitions
- Tax Structuring and Planning prior to sale
- Tax Structured Corporate Reorganizations
- Structuring of Executive Compensation and Stock Incentive Plans
- Succession Planning for Business Owners
- Income Tax Matters affecting Corporations and Business Owners
- Goods and Services Tax (“GST”) and Harmonized Sales Tax (“HST”) and
- Cross-border Tax Issues
In addition to providing guidance on corporate tax matters, our highly experienced tax team also provides businesses with ongoing guidance and advice on business operations, review of contracts essential to running a business, employment matters, and the purchase and sale of a business.
Personal Tax Planning and Wealth Preservation
At Mills & Mills LLP we provide personal tax planning and advice to a wide range of clients. We can assist in the implementation of tax-effective strategies to minimize Canadian income tax, probate fees, and exposure to U.S. Estate Tax for Canadians holding real estate and other significant assets in both Canada and the U.S., Americans living in Canada. We will assist in developing effective tax and estate planning strategies and will help you incorporate them into a broader estate plan. To that end, we work with our Wills, Estates, & Trusts, Family Law, Business Law, and Not-For-Profit and Charities groups to ensure that we achieve our clients’ objectives.
Our services include:
- Individual Tax and Estate Planning
- Estate Freezes
- Tax Structuring to Minimize Federal, Provincial and U.S. Estate taxes;
- Wealth Preservation Strategies
- Charitable Giving Strategies
- Advice on Cross-border Tax Issues
- Trusts, including Henson Trusts, Alter-Ego and Joint-Partner Trusts, and Trusts to hold U.S. Real Estate
- Post-Mortem Planning
Tax Dispute Resolution
Even the most proactive and diligent personal or corporate tax filings can sometimes result in unforeseen outcomes including audits or reassessments by the Canada Revenue Agency, penalties, or similar concerns.
At Mills & Mills LLP our tax lawyers help clients resolve tax disputes that fall outside of the judicial process, including through negotiation with the Canada Revenue Agency at the audit stage, filing of Notices of Objection or Taxpayer Relief Applications, and Voluntary Disclosures. We help clients challenge audits and reassessments, help them address potential penalties, and help them reach negotiated resolutions.
We provide a wide range of tax dispute resolution services, including:
- Voluntary Disclosures
- Responses to Tax Audits, Assessments and Reassessments
- Tax Objections and Appeals
- Taxpayer Relief Applications
- Dealing with the Canada Revenue Agency on your behalf
Contact the Tax Lawyers at Mills & Mills LLP
To benefit from the individual, customized services and the superior tax law knowledge that the team at Mills & Mills LLP offers, please contact us at 416-863-0125 or send us an email.