The Business of Design Law – Lawyers for Architects, Interior Designers and Other Creative Professionals
Design law is the dynamic and continually evolving body of business law that governs creative professionals, from sole proprietorships to large firms. At Mills & Mills LLP, we act for a wide range of clients in the creative field, including interior designers, website and graphic designers, architects, landscape architects, fashion designers, illustrators and other creative professionals.
Running a creative design business is not like most other businesses; the product offered is creative output and, over time, creative design businesses have developed special regulatory processes and practices to deal with the unique issues surrounding the creative process. This is also a rapidly evolving area of work that demands adaptability – more so than many other fields. Similarly, design law is also constantly evolving and requires lawyers who are able to change and adapt to fit the needs of their clients.
Protect your Intellectual Property – Trademarks and Copyrights
Your Toronto design law lawyer will be your adviser in all issues pertaining to your business. We tackle the unique needs of designers and design companies, including intellectual property matters such as trademarks and copyrights. We can help you manage the legal processes involved in protecting your creative product from copyright infringement and other forms of exploitation under intellectual property law and practice in Ontario and elsewhere in Canada.
To provide you comprehensive service, your lawyer may solicit support from lawyers working in our other areas of practice, including:
- Business: We handle matters involving intellectual property, contracts, corporate structure, and purchase and sale of design businesses.
- Employment: We can help you with hiring, management and termination of employees and independent contractors.
- Estates: We can assist with your succession planning needs.
- Litigation: We can help with construction liens, collection of unpaid accounts, contract enforcement and protection of designers’ intellectual property rights.
- Real estate: Mills & Mills LLP provides a variety of services regarding commercial leases, purchases and sales.
We also act for the Association of Registered Interior Designers of Ontario (ARIDO) in the administration and regulation of interior designers, including discipline matters, complaints, professional standards, and regular business and commercial law work.
Contact the Design Law Lawyers at Mills & Mills LLP
Design law is a new, exciting field of law, with a quickly evolving legal landscape. Contact Mills & Mills LLP at 416-863-0125 to learn more about how our lawyers can help you meet the unique challenges of your field.