Richard is pleased to bring his over 30 years of litigation experience to Mills & Mills LLP as Partner.
Richard concentrates his practice in Estate Litigation and Commercial Litigation. Richard takes a practical and efficient approach to litigation, attempting to move disputes quickly to resolution. Richard is a firm believer in the mediation/negotiation process but where settlement has not been possible, Richard has appeared in Ontario Courts at all levels.
Richard is also a trained mediator and offers his services as mediator to individuals and counsel in the Greater Toronto Area.
Recent Court Decisions
Wong v. Li, 2020 – Superior Court of Justice trial. Successfully defended action alleging breach of fiduciary duty, conspiracy and fraud. Action dismissed with costs in favour of our client.
Martin v. Martin (Martin Estate), 2018 – Superior Court decision clarifies the issue of the evidentiary threshold requirement for Will challengers.
58 Cardill Inc. v. Rathcliffe Holdings et al, 2017 – Superior Court decision with respect to interpretation of a mortgage and enforceability of three months’ interest penalty clause.
58 Cardill Inc. v. Rathcliffe Holdings et al., 2018 – Court of Appeal decision upholding the Superior Court decision.
Arrow ESP Norway v. Tian, 2017 – Court of Appeal decision upholding decision regarding tracing of funds in international e-mail fraud matter.
Mishev v. Shah, 2016 – Superior Court trial decision dismissing claim alleging fraud against mortgagee.
- Deposing the misbehaving estate trustee
- Mediation plus arbitration a one two punch
- Relief for dependents left out of the will
- Early mediation requirements buried under backlog
- Employers taking creative approaches to mitigation
- YouTube and broadcasting: Applying Libel and Slander Act to Internet
- Pre-Retirement Death Benefits available to satisfy a Dependant’s Relief Claim
- Getting pre-retirement death benefits when left out of the will
- Three months’ interest penalty – is it payable?
- Undue influence and testamentary fraud: both sides of the coin
- Laying the groundwork for admission of expert evidence
- Deciding when duties of power of attorney start
- Ad hoc fiduciary duties and equitable fraud
Year of Call
Osgoode Hall 1983
Called to Bar 1985
The Law Society of Ontario
Progress Place Rehabilitation Centre Inc. (Past Chair)
Progress Place (Employment Committee Co-Chair)
Progress Place (Past Board Chair)