Firm Profile
Our Lawyers
Areas of Practice
Firm News & Blog
(416) 863-0125

In the last blog in this series, I discussed Powers of Attorney for Personal Care.  What happens if you don’t have one and are then in a situation where medical instructions need to be given and you are incapable of doing so?  Who is entitled to give those instructions on your behalf? If you are unable to give or refuse consent to treatment and you do not have a Power of Attorney for Personal Care, immediate members of your family will have a right by law to make treatment decisions for you. The law provides for a hierarchy of decision-makers: the spouse, then the parents, then the children, then brothers and sisters. If none of your relatives are willing and able to give or refuse consent to treatment, the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee (a government agency) will make these decisions.

Contact Us

2 St Clair Ave West
Suite 2101
Toronto, ON M4V 1L5

Phone: (416) 863-0125

Fax: (416) 863-3997

Questions? Send us an email.