Firm Profile
Our Lawyers
Areas of Practice
Firm News & Blog
(416) 863-0125

Registered charities in Canada enjoy certain privileges under the Income Tax Act, including issuing tax receipts to donors. Regulation 3501 of the Income Tax Act includes a list of information required to be included on any tax receipt issued, and non-compliance with the regulation can be a serious issue both for charities and donors. One of the things that charities must include on the tax receipt is the name and website address of the Canada Revenue Agency.

Since 2013, the Government of Canada has been working towards a one-website policy, with all government departments and agencies migrating their content to the website It appears that the transition is being managed by each department and agency individually, with a target date of December 2017.

Canada Revenue Agency has recently completed the transition. While the old website, ( currently re-directs you to the new one, there is notice on the top of the site indicating that the re-direction is only temporary. Regardless of the re-direction, charities should be updating their tax receipts to reflect the new website in order to remain compliant with the regulation.

If you have questions about what else should be included on a tax receipt issued by a charity, or on charitable gifting more generally, Mills & Mills LLP would be happy to assist you. Contact us at 416­-863-0125 or send us an email.

Contact Us

2 St Clair Ave West
Suite 2101
Toronto, ON M4V 1L5

Phone: (416) 863-0125

Fax: (416) 863-3997

Questions? Send us an email.