Heather practices in the areas of charity and not-for-profit law and business law. She provides corporate and commercial services to businesses, and acts as a general corporate counsel to charities and not-for-profits operating in Canada and internationally. Heather can assist with incorporation, continuance, charitable registration, dissolution, and commercial transactions, and she regularly advises her clients on questions of governance, by-laws, compliance, and real estate matters.
Heather brings to her practice several years of experience at a Toronto solicitor-side general practice. She began her legal career as a law clerk at the Federal Court of Appeal in Ottawa, and subsequently taught law in The Gambia, West Africa.
Heather holds a B.A. (Hons) from the University of King’s College, Halifax, an M.A. in international relations from the Munk Centre, University of Toronto, and a J.D. from the Faculty of Law, University of Toronto. During law school Heather participated in the not-for-profit corporate law program with Pro Bono Students Canada, and was an associate editor of the Journal for International Law and International Relations. She also received the A. Alan Borovoy Prize in Civil Liberties.
Heather has been volunteering for more than 10 years within the charitable and not-for-profit community in Toronto, and currently sits on several boards.
Recent presentations & publications:
- “Case Law and Public Guardian and Trustee Update”, Ontario Bar Association Institute, February 2019
- “Governance in the Not-for-Profit Sector”, Guest Lecture at Seneca College, September 2017
- “Effecting Fundamental Changes: Unification, Separation, and Dissolution of Charities and Not-for-Profit Corporations in Ontario”, Ontario Bar Association, April 2017
- “Teaming Up: Critical Considerations for Associate Agreements”, Ontario Chiropractic Association webinar, March 2017
- “Roles and Responsibilities of Directors and Officers”, NFP Board Development Workshop Series, May 2016
- “Corporate Record Keeping for Small Businesses”, Toronto Reference Library, Small Business Seminar Program, April 2016 and October 2016
- “Federal or Provincial Incorporation?”, OBA Charity and Not-for-Profit Law Section Newsletter, November 2015
- “Non-profit basics”, Career Skills Incubator, CSI Spadina, November 2015
- “Transitioning to the new Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act”, CSI Annex, May 2014
Year of Call
J.D., University of Toronto, 2009
M.A. (International Relations), University of Toronto, 2009
B.A. Hons. (Philosophy), University of King’s College, 2006
The Law Society of Ontario
Executive Member, Ontario Bar Association, Charity and Not-For-Profit Law Section
Executive Member, Canadian Bar Association, Charity and Not-For-Profit Law Section