Gilbert Sharpe joined the Mills & Mills LLP Health Law Group in 2021. Gilbert brings more than 30 years of experience in health law to the firm.
Gilbert is involved in important legal issues and policy matters affecting health care including development of legislation and policies to improve the health care system. Gilbert is also a life-long advocate for educational forums to promote ongoing and effective exchange of information related to new initiatives. With an established history of working for and with the government, Gilbert strives to continue to work on numerous health law and policy matters for clients both in the private and public sectors. Gilbert also holds several professorships and serves as Editor-in-Chief of Health Law in Canada. Gilbert most recently spent the last 18 months as an advisor within the Ontario Ministry of Health.
Gilbert’s experience includes:
- Advising numerous healthcare clients and those investing in healthcare. Special expertise in seeking private healthcare opportunities and navigating the regulatory environment.
- Providing government relations assistance including strategic advice, briefing documents, and RFPs.
- Authoring laws regulating healthcare facilities, professionals and funding as Director of Legal Services for the Ontario Ministry of Health, including provincial, uniform and federal criminal laws on mental disorder.
- Advising international projects for the World Bank, Inter-American Bank, and the World Health Organization in Guyana, the Bahamas, Indonesia, Zimbabwe and other countries.
- Supporting US healthcare reforms proposed by Clinton in 1993 and Obama in 2010.
- Publishing several books on health law as well as hundreds of articles.
- Speaking frequently at national and international healthcare conferences.
- Teaching as a Professor in the Faculty of Law, University of Toronto.
- Creating the first Canadian health law courses, at Osgoode Hall Law School at York University, Schulich School of Law at Dalhousie University, and University of Ottawa Faculty of Common Law.
A sample of Gilbert’s publications include:
- Editor-In-Chief, Health Law in Canada (Buttersworths/LexisNexis) (1979-Present)
- Doctors and the Law (Buttersworths) (1978)
- The Law and Medicine in Canada” (Buttersworths) (1987)
- The Uniform Mental Health Act. Uniform Law Commissioners of Canada (1985)
- Chitty’s Law Journal (Medical/Legal), Canada Law Book (1975-1978)
- Ontario Medical Review (monthly column), Ontario Medical Association (1971-1980)
- Volume II, No. 1, Osgoode Hall Law Journal, Osgoode Hall Law School (1972-1973)
Year of Call
B.A., University of Toronto, 1966
LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, 1972
LL.M., Osgoode Hall Law School, 1973
Law Society of Ontario
Health Law in Canada (Editor-in-Chief)